Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pav Bhaji

Pav Bhaji is a popular Mumbai street food. As a child, I don't remember eating street food as my parents were against it and they didn't cherish any dish with garam masala in it. The first time I tried Pav Bhaji was at Mumbai during an outing with my close friend. I believe it was at "Sukh Sagar", which according to my friend, was the best in town. It was a busy, crazy place. People chatting, steel plates and glasses clanking, people bumping while walking through the narrow passages-I remember wondering if I really needed to eat at this busy place.
We were served pipping hot Bhaji with a dollop of butter on it with warm butter toasted bread. It tasted pretty good and of course we were hungry after going around town!
After getting married, I learnt that my husband was a big fan of street food. Now Chaat, Samosa's, Vada Pav..... is something that I make every few weeks.





Ingredients:

1 packet store bought Pav (bread)

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 medium potatoes, boiled
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup cauliflower florets
1/4 cup frozen peas
coriander leaves
2 tsp Everest pav bhaji masala
Lemon juice, for serving
salt to taste
oil/butter

How it's made:

Cook carrots, peas and cauliflower together.
In a non stick pan, heat oil. Add onions and garlic. Fry until translucent. Add tomatoes and pav bhaji masala. Fry until tomatoes are soft. Add cooked veggies and potato. Mix well. You can use a potato masher for texture. Adjust salt. Add coriander leaves. Serve hot with a dollop of butter and lemon juice.



Slit Pav in half (horizontally). Butter both sides and heat on pan until light golden brown.

Serves: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment