Friday, July 26, 2013

Palak Chicken (Chicken with Spinach)

Most kids I know love non-vegetarian food and this is the best way to get them to eat spinach, a vegetable which is not liked in most houses amongst kids. When I first cooked this dish in my kitchen, I saw weird expressions at the dinner table. Not anymore!!
While I volunteered at my son's school many years ago, I closely worked with one of his teachers for several hours a week. Her motto was "You get what you get and do not get upset". I was impressed with the phrase that I caught on to it and say that all the time specifically at the dinning table.





Ingredients:

1 lb chicken, skinless, cut into small pieces
1 large onion, sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger, grated
2 green chillies, chopped fine
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 - 10 oz box frozen spinach
salt to taste
oil

How it's made:

Thaw spinach at room temperature or in microwave. Rinse chicken under running water.

In a wide heavy bottom pan, heat oil. Add onions and fry until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and green chillies. Fry for 2-3 minutes and then add tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes turn soft. Add dry spices and salt to taste. Fry for a minute. Add spinach, chicken and mix well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring in between. Adjust salt. Serve with Roti/ Naan/ Bread.

Serves: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment