Friday, October 11, 2013

Sabudana/Sago Khichdi (Spicy Tapioca with Potato and Peanuts)

Sabudana Kichdi is a Maharashtrian specialty which is mostly cooked on days when one fasts. I got the first taste of this dish when I stayed in Maharashtra State for a few months after marriage. It took me a very long time to develop liking for Sabudana and till date, it's not something that I enjoy but it has always been my husbands favorite. Over the last few years, the thought of cooking this dish made me nervous. Most of the time it was a disaster and unrecognizable - it either resembled a huge ball or turned extremely mushy! After several tries, I think I finally succeeded.
Most recipes that I was given, instructed to wash Sabudana and leave about a quarter cup of water to soak for a few hours. It never worked for me. So I decided to soak 1 cup Sabudana in 3-4 cups of water overnight and it worked well. Many might not agree with this method but I have succeeded every single time since then. I personally think, the size and quality makes a difference with soaking time.





Ingredients:

3/4 cup Sabudana (Tapioca)
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 small green chillies, chopped
1 medium potato, chopped into cubes
1/4 cup roasted peanut powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
oil/ghee

How it's made:

Wash and soak sabudana for 6 hours or overnight. Drain water and squeeze Sabudana between the palm of your hands. Combine salt, sugar, peanut powder, lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well and set aside.
In a pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and green chilies. Saute until it changes color. Add potatoes, salt and cook until potatoes are done. Do not add water. Add sabudana. Mix well. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Adjust salt and sugar. Serve hot with extra lemon juice if required.

Serves: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment